Accessibility of Web and Mobile Interfaces (Data gathering studies with disabled communities)
Our research has examined the difficulties faced by individuals who are blind when accessing both web and mobile-based interfaces. A range of empirical studies have been conducted with both interface users and web interface designers/programmers who are blind. Haptic solutions have been proposed to address the 'disability divide'. Prototypes have been developed through participatory design approaches, where target users can play an active role in the design process. More recent work has focused on assessments of web credibility by individuals who are blind, along with the situationally-induced impairments and disabilities (SIIDs) faced by blind mobile device users.
Saulynas, S. & Kuber, R. 2020: Understanding and Supporting Individuals Experiencing Severely Constraining Situational Impairments. Universal Access in the Information Society. 19(4), 919-933. DOI: 10.1007/s10209-019-00705-7.
- Gupta, M., Abdolrahmani, A., Edwards, E., Cortez, M., Tumang, A., Majali, Y., Lazaga, M., Tarra, S., Patil, P., Kuber, R. & Branham, S.M., 2020:Towards More Universal Wayfinding Technologies: Navigation Preferences Across Disabilities. In proceedings of CHIí20, 1-13. DOI: 10.1145/3313831.3376581
Abdolrahmani, A., Storer, K.M., Mukkath Roy, A.R., Kuber, R. & Branham, S.M. 2019: Blind Leading the Sighted: Drawing Design Insights from Blind Users towards More Productivity-oriented Voice Interfaces. Transactions on Accessible Computing. Article No. 18. DOI: 10.1145/3368426.
- Saulynas, S. & Kuber, R. 2018: Towards Supporting Mobile Device Users Facing Severely Constraining Situational Impairments. In Extended Abstracts of CHI'18, Montreal, Canada, LBW540.
- Wolf, F., Kuber, R. & Aviv, A.J. 2017: Perceptions of Mobile Device Authentication Mechanisms by Individuals who are Blind. In proceedings of ASSETSí17, 385-386.
- Saulynas, S., Burgee, L. & Kuber, R. 2017: All Situational Impairments are not Alike: A Classification System for Situational Impairments and the Unique Nature of Severely Constraining Situational Impairments In proceedings of iConference'17, Wuhan, China.
- Toy, K., O'Meara, E., Kuber, R. & Saulynas, S. 2017: An Investigation of Ways to Support Older Adults when Using Mobile Interfaces. In proceedings of iConference'17, Wuhan, China.
Easley, W., Kuber, R. & Ozok, A.A. 2017: An Empirical Study Examining Medication Management among Individuals with Visual Impairments. Universal Access in the Information Society, 16(2), 483-495.
- Abdolrahmani, A. & Kuber, R. 2016: Should I Trust It When I Cannot See It?: Credibility Assessment for Blind Web Users. In proceedings of ASSETS'16, Reno, NV, 191-199.
- Abdolrahmani, A., Kuber, R. & Hurst, A. 2016: An Empirical Investigation of the Situationally-Induced Impairments Experienced by Blind Mobile Device Users. In proceedings of W4A'16, Montreal, Canada, Article No: 21.
- Abdolrahmani, A., Kuber, R. & Easley, W. 2015: Web Search Credibility Assessment for Individuals who are Blind. In proceedings of ASSETS'15, Lisbon, Portugal, 369-370.
Norman, K., Arber, Y. & Kuber, R. 2013:
How Accessible is the Process of Web Interface Design?
In proceedings of ASSETS'13, Bellevue, USA, Article No: 51.
Kuber, R., Hastings, A., Tretter, M. & Fitzpatrick, D. 2012: Determining the Accessibility of Mobile Screen Readers for Blind Users. In proceedings of IASTED HCI'12, Baltimore, USA, 182-189.
Brunschwyler, C. & Kuber, R. 2012: Determining the Accessibility of Social Networking Sites. In proceedings of the Grace Hopper Celebration of Computing'12, Baltimore, USA.
Murphy, E., Kuber, R., McAllister, G., Strain, P. & Yu, W. 2008:
An Empirical Investigation into the Difficulties Experienced by Visually Impaired Internet
Users. Universal Access in the Information Society, 7(1), 79-91.
- Ali Abdolrahmani (Ph.D.)
- William Easley (Ph.D.)
- Sidas Saulynas (Ph.D.)
- Amanda Hastings (MS)
- Kirk Norman (MS)
- Ted O'Meara (MS)
- Katelyn Toy (MS)
- Matthew Tretter (MS)
- Yevgeniy Arber (BS)
- Caroline Brunschwyler (BS)