Subject: Re: Multicasting-Router under Solaris 2.3

From: [email-masked] (Matti Aarnio)
Date: Thu, 5 May 1994 19:54:27 GMT

[email-masked] (Ralph Schindler) writes:

>Hello!
>
>We need help on installing a multicast router.
>
>----------------      -----------     ------------------
>| Classics/2.3 |------| S10/2.3 |-----| ELC/SunOS4.1.x |
>----------------      -----------     ------------------
>                           |
>                   rest of the world
>
>We can extent the SunOS4.1.x workstations with multi-casting,
>but we don't know how to configure the server correct.
>The documentation for solaris 2.2 was not helpful.

	You need separate  mrouted  program on Solaris, there
	is none delivered in stock Solaris 2.3, but there are
	all the necessary things in the kernel to use multicast
	traffic from the network when such is present.

	Your option may as well be to have your ELC as tunnel
	end-point, which just multicasts the traffic to the
	local ethernet.  If you have multiple TUNNELS, then
	you would need more power at running it (SS-10).

	Recently I needed such an end-point, and only practical option
	was to port the  mrouted-2.2 (for SunOS 4.1.x) to Solaris.
	Now you don't need to rework the non-obvious compiler problem..
	Go and pick:

		ftp.funet.fi:/pub/unix/networking/multicast/SOLARIS/
			mrouted2.2.sparc.5.3.tar.Z

	The file has the source, and ready-to-use binaries.

	I would much rather be able to use  mrouted 3.x,  which
	quenches incoming datastream when nobody local is listening
	on it -- get only what people actively receive, however
	Solaris 2.3's  /kernel/drv/ip  suits only  mrouted 2.x..

	Will Solaris 2.4 have it ?   I don't know.

	A word of warning:  Currently full feed of multicast traffics
	is 400-600 kbits/s when some events (like InterOp) are going
	on, and if your connection can't handle that, you are in for
	trouble...  (mrouted 3.x would help, though.)

	With  mrouted 2.x  the option is to turn the router off completely.
	not just turn off some single channel(s) :-(

>Thank you.
>Ralph

	/Matti Aarnio	<[email-masked]>