Subject: Re: xlock under twm under Solaris 2.3 (Sparc Classic)

From: [email-masked] (Richard Lewis)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 1994 03:14:46 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Ben Fried) writes:

   In <[email-masked]>, Daniel S. Katz wrote:

       I installed Solaris 2.3 off the CD on my Sparc Classic, and I use twm as
       my window manager.  Under this enviroment, xlock seems to cause Xsun to
       die, doing a core dump, which causes me to get logged out.  The amount
       of time this takes to happen seems random, from 1/2 hour to 10 hours.
       file core returns:
       core:           ELF 32-bit MSB core file SPARC Version 1, from 'Xsun'

   Interesting.  I also have a SPARCclassic with 2.3, and my Xsun core
   dumps when I try to run gnu emacs with the "-w" switch.  This happend
   with emacs 19.17, 19.22, 18.55, and 18.57.  A backtrace of the coredump
   indicated the dump was triggered when StartListFontsWithInfo was called,
   if that means anything.   Think these could be related?

There is a problem with the Openlook 3.3 xserver in how it renders
adobe type fonts. Applying patch 101362-06 should solve the problem,
in fact emacs was specifically mentioned in the patch's README file.

Otherwise, use some non-adobe fixed-width font.

-Richard

--
For a good prime, call:  391581 * 2^216193 - 1

+-----------------------------------------------------+
Richard Lewis
Lehman Brothers Japan Inc.
Ark Mori Bldg, 36th Floor
1-12-32 Akasaka
Minato-ku, Tokyo 107, JAPAN

email: [email-masked]  
phone: 81-(3)-5571-7639