Subject: Excellent Book -- Technical Internals of UNIX (System V Release 4)

From: [email-masked] (merlin)
Date: 14 Apr 1994 11:34:34 -0400

The USC campus bookstore technical book section just received a shipment of:

    Berny Goodheart & James Cox
    The Magic Garden Explained: The Internals of UNIX (R) SYSTEM V Release 4
    Prentice Hall 1994 ISBN 0-13-098138-9
    664 Pages -- Price: $38.00

This is a very low cost, in depth, excellently executed book detailing the
internal structures and functioning of the UNIX SYSTEM V Release 4 kernel.
The book is substantially more detailed than any of the previous standard
unix internals reference or text books (Leffler et al, Bach, Shaw, Borne).  

Because Novelle USL UNIX SYSVR4 incorporates many features of AT&T SYSVR3 
and BSD4.3 -- and vendors of SYSVR3 (including SCO UNIX) have incorporated
many features of UNIX SYSVR4 -- this book should be of substantial interest
to anyone who desires a better understanding of the internal operations of
their UNIX operating system kernel.  Solaris system administrators, system
programmers, technical support people, and performance critical application
developers should particularly benefit from the information in this book.

While the authors recommend the book be read in parallel with study of the
original unix source code, sufficient pseudocode representation of the key
algorithms has been included to permit a more or less detailed study w/out
restricted access to original source code.  The book is targeted for use in
first or second year graduate operating systems course and for professional
unix system administration/system programming personnel.

The USC Bookstore Special Orders Desk/Technical Book Section (and/or your
local campus or technical bookstore) accepts telephone orders for shipping
anywhere in the world via (213)740-9028.  I personally recommend domestic
orders be shipped via UPS Blue (Second Day Air) delivery -- regular book
rate shipment can take weeks to deliver -- books shipped via UPS Blue often
appear on your desk within a week of initial order placement (including the
time it takes for the bookstore to reorder the item from the publisher when
stock runs low).

I have no connection with the authors, publishers, and/or bookstores selling
this book.  I was just very impressed with the technical quality, depth of
coverage, and fine production quality of this excellent unix reference book.

--
AJ Annala, Principal Investigator, USC Neuroscience Image Analysis Network