Subject: Helpful changes regaurding SUNWnskit (ypserv for Solaris)

From: [email-masked] (Dan Rubin)
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 1994 15:23:07 GMT

Hello,

We are running a Solaris 2.2 with a zillion patches and the SUNWnskit
package on a SPARC 1000.  For those of you who don't know SUNWnskit is 
ypserv for Solaris servers.  We tried NIS+, but we were having too many 
crippling problems with it while at the same time tring to meet tight
deadlines so we went to NIS.

Anyways, if anyone out there is using this package, I suggest you make 
some changes to a couple of the scripts in /etc/rc2.d/.  If the ypserv
process "gets stuck", and it does frequently, you need to stop S71yp and 
then S71rpc in the /etc/rc2.d directory and then start em back up to get 
things going again.  Unfortunatly, if NIS is down these scripts hang because
they use ps which in turn seems to use yp to fetch user names to list
with user ids for processes.  The fix is simple, change the ps -ef in
those two files to ps -e within the "stop" section of the script.  You
must also change the $2 in the awk command that follow the ps to $1 
because ps -e and ps -ef have differently formated outputs.  This quick
change helps enormously if ypserv ever goes crazy, which causes havok 
to most everything.  With the changes it is possible to cycle the yp
related processes easily... if you can log in which can be another problem
in a NIS related crisis.

	- Dan

-- 
 Daniel Rubin  [email-masked]               _/_/_/_/  _/_/_/_/  Go Bucks 
 Systems Administrator                          _/    _/  _/_/      _/    _/
 AT&T Bell Labs Columbus, Ohio                 _/_/_/_/      _/_/  _/    _/
 (614) 860-6487                               Go Bucks  _/_/_/_/  _/_/_/_/