Subject: Re: Answerbook and X-win emulation ..

From: [email-masked] (Casper H.S. Dik)
Date: 2 May 1994 09:45:00 GMT

[email-masked] (jo-nathan e) writes:

>Am having a problem reading the Answerbook pages since the X-Server
>i am currently using is unable to handle dps (HummingBird eXCeed) ..
>i was previously told by sun that Solaris 2.3 would be fully X11R5
>compatible, and then found out that dps is not part of the MIT consortium
>and will not be until Adobe cuts some of their cost for ps .. this really
>sucks,  since most X windows emulators will not do dps because of the
>cost involved with licensing the ps tech ... lemme know if i'm mistaken

There is no such thing as an X windows emulator.  What you probably mean
is that ``all free X11 versions will not have DPS''.  That is a correct
statement.  However: most Unix vendors now ship DPS as part of their
X server.  A number of X terminal vendors sells DPS as part of or option
for their software.  It's only a matter of time before commercial software
packages that run on PCs will also support DPS as part of their X server.

>I do not see sun's claim that 2.3 is fully X11R5 compatible to be valid,
>in fact the tech i spoke with at sun told me, that she hadn't heard of
>answerbook running on anything but a sun terminal .. this also sucks, since
>our agency didn't have $5k to blow on a monitor and i get stuck with the
>fun task of configuring the Sparc Server from terminal emulators and the
>like without any documentation .. (well, i could spend 300 for the hard copies)

It is fully X11R5 compatible.  It is X11R5 + extensions, but all R5
software should connect to Sun's display fine.

You can abd people have run answerbook on IBM, SGI, DEC and Ncd displays.

>anyone know of an X-Server that will run on a PC that can handle dps? I'd
>really like to see some of the documentation someday, but don't have the 
>money for a fancy dancy monitor ..

I don't.  But there's a docviewer for Solaris 2.3 that will run ghostscript
and will not use DPS.  It's called Hedrick-docviewer and is available
from a number of ftp sites (well, my archie only found one:
	colonsay.dcs.ed.ac.uk:
	/home/ftp/pub/X11R5/Misc-contrib/Hedrick-docviewer

>oh - one more peculiarity .. keep getting strange error messages at the
>console (a wyse-50 i found in a closet here) .. that say ..
>hostname unix: IP: Hardware address 'my ethernet address' trying to be our
>address <my IP number>!

Somehost seems to be configured with the same IP address as the
Sun.  Check all the hosts on your net.,

Casper