Subject: Re: _POSIX_CHOWN_RESTRICTED

From: [email-masked] (Casper H.S. Dik)
Date: 28 Jan 1994 12:05:26 GMT

pacebes@cozuelos (Pedro Antonio Acebes Bayon) writes:

>When i must change this _POSIX_CHOWN_RESTRICTED option?, in what file?,
>What i must do?

Edit /etc/systems:

	set rstchown = 0

Reboot.

Casper

---

From: pacebes@cozuelos (Pedro Antonio Acebes Bayon)
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 1994 10:55:42 GMT

By project reasons we need in a Solaris 2 workstation that not only root, but
other person to be able to change the owner of theirs files.

Then we see at the chown manual page:

     Only the owner of a file (or the super-user) may change  the
     owner of that file.

     The   operating   system   has   a   configuration    option
     {_POSIX_CHOWN_RESTRICTED},  to  restrict  ownership changes.
     When this option is in effect  the  owner  of  the  file  is
     prevented  from changing the owner ID of the file.  Only the
     super-user can arbitrarily change  owner  IDs  whether  this
     option is in effect or not.

Thanks in advance

--

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pedro Antonio Acebes Bayon
E-mail: [email-masked]

Telef: +34-1-337 4872 
FAX:   +34-1-337 4222