Subject: Re: Installed location of X11 (Was: rn/xrn ported to Solaris 2.1)

From: [email-masked] (George Ross)
Date: 22 Mar 93 09:43:20 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
> >>setup.  But X11R5 allows you the luxury of having all of your X stuff under one
> >>managable directory tree: $(TOP).
> 
> You have to jump through hoops to get a decent layout, though. ...

Not really...  Here's the relevant part of our site.def:

#undef UsrLibDir
#define UsrLibDir /usr/local/lib/X11R5

#undef IncRoot
#define IncRoot /usr/local/share/X11R5/include

#undef UsrIncDir
#define UsrIncDir /usr/local/share/include

#undef ManDirectoryRoot
#define ManDirectoryRoot /usr/local/share/man

#undef BinDir
#define BinDir /usr/local/bin/X11R5

#undef LibDir
#define LibDir /usr/local/lib/X11R5

-- 
George D M Ross, Department of Computer Science, University of Edinburgh
     Kings Buildings, Mayfield Road, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH9 3JZ
Mail: [email-masked]      Voice: 031-650 5147      Fax: 031-667 7209

---

From: [email-masked] (Casper H.S. Dik)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1993 10:44:22 GMT

[email-masked] (Anthony A. Datri) writes:

>You have to jump through hoops to get a decent layout, though.  By default you
>get usr/*/X11 directories under it, when what you really want is
>DIR/{bin,lib,include}.  My preference is to build it to live in /usr/*/X11, which
>are links that indirect through another link which can be changed to point at
>different builds.

If you want DIR/{bin,lib,include}, all you have to #define is ProjectRoot.
It'll give you ProjectRoot/{bin,lib,man,include}

Casper

---

From: [email-masked] (Antonio Freixas)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1993 15:23:01 GMT

I write:

>This brings up an interesting question.  We ship Motif programs for the Sun.  We
>want these programs to run under either the OpenWindows2/3 or X11R4/5 servers
>using any window manager, but particulary the OpenWindows and Motif window
>managers.  These requirements make things somewhat touchy.
>
>The best way to allow the user to customize his/her X11 location is to
>dynamically link in the X11 libraries.  That way, the application will use the
>correct local locations of things such as the XKeysymDB file and the
>app-defaults directory.

[email-masked] (Richard Elling) replies:

> Perhaps one could be able to set an environment variable or X resource to point
> to the XKeysymDB?  Of course, reasonable default location should be provided as
> the default.
> 
> In other words, allow administrators to be able relocate code as much as possible.
> Many ISVs are getting better at relocation, but many have a *long* way to go.
> Openwindows version 3.0 did a very good job of allowing relocation.  I've never
> installed it in /usr/openwin...

Of course, X environment variables are not under my control -- they are under
the jurisdiction of the X consortium and are accessed not by my code but by the
X toolkit.

There is an XKEYSYMDB environment variable (in R5 anyway), but I've heard that
it is not officially supported.  Here is the result of a grep on the mit/lib/X
directory:

> grep -i xkeysym *
...
XStrKeysym.c:   dbname = getenv("XKEYSYMDB");

I don't plan to depend on this, but it may be a useful temporary solution to an
installation problem.

					         -- [email-masked]
					       (503) 626-7117 x1349