Subject: Re: Mandatory patches for 2.2

From: wdawson@vdbsan (Willard Dawson)
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1993 21:09:48 GMT

[email-masked] (L. Todd Masco) writes:

>For a good time, call Sun (1-800-USA-4SUN in the US) and ask for all the mandatory
> patches for Solaris 2.2.

>I've never had a customer support person laugh at me quite so much...
>-- 
>Todd Masco                    | "life without caution/ the only worth living
>[email-masked]            |  love for a man/ love for a woman
>SysAdmin, Clinton Group, Inc. |  love for the facts/ protectless" - A Rich

Well, I did it, but not to the person who answers the phone.  You have
to establish a problem, and reach the kernel workgroup.  Once you've
done that, it's exceptionally easy to say "I'm running 2.1, but I'd like
to install 2.2; I understand that you -really- have to install a set of
mandatory patches to make it fly, and that 2.3 is the OS release to end
all OS releases.  Could you please have patch administration send me a
tape with these mandatory patches?"

Guess what... it works.

-- 
Willard Dawson, BellSouth Advanced Networks, 1000 Holcomb Woods Pkwy Ste 412
Atlanta, GA  30076, Voice: +1 404 594 6737, UUCP: kd4nc!vdbsan!wdawson
Internet -> X.400:  /G=W/S=DAWSON/O=BSAN/ADMD=BELLSOUTH/C=US/@sprint.com
Percent hack:  [email-masked]   ::   Standard disclaimer applies.