Subject: Re: the mails in /var/mail can be read by groups!

From: [email-masked] (John Caruso)
Date: 20 Sep 1993 12:27:30 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, Oon-Gil Paik wrote:
>In /var/mail directory, I manually delete my own mail file,then
>send me a test mail,then this is what I get :
>ls -l  ogpaik
>-rw-rw---   ogpaik   ug   	ogpaik

This is probably caused by incorrect protections on /usr/bin/mail.  You
need to set the protections to 2511 and make sure its group ownership
is "mail".  It may also be a problem with the flags in your local mailer
definition; the default flags for Mlocal on Solaris are F=flsSDFMmnP.

We've run into MANY problems with mail ownership on Solaris 2.2...for
example, if you send mail locally to two users, neither of whom has
a mailfile, you'll end up owning one of the resulting mailfiles (and
if you send to 30 users without mailfiles, you'll own 29 of them--mail
only sets the file ownership correctly for the first recipient).

---------------------------------------------------------------------
 John Caruso                                    [email-masked]
 Unix/VMS System Administrator                  caruso@UMUC (Bitnet)
 University of Maryland University College      Work: (301) 985-7447
---------------------------------------------------------------------