Subject: Re: Compiling sendmail 8.6.4 under Solaris 2.3 (sparc)

From: [email-masked] (Eric Allman)
Date: 16 Dec 1993 19:22:42 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Jim Alexander) writes:
|> I am having trouble getting sendmail 8.6.4 to compile under Solaris 2.3 -
|> has anyone done this?  The compile goes fine until the final link,
|> where I get a couple of undefined symbols:
|> 
|> gcc -o sendmail alias.o arpadate.o clock.o collect.o conf.o convtime.o daemon.o  deliver.o domain.o envelope.o err.o headers.o macro.o main.o  map.o mci.o parseaddr.o queue.o readcf.o recipient.o  savemail.o srvrsmtp.o stab.o stats.o sysexits.o  trace.o u|> db.o usersmtp.o util.o version.o  -L/usr/sww/lib -L/usr/ucblib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/ccs/lib -lresolv -lsocket -lnsl -lelf
|> Undefined                       first referenced
|>  symbol                             in file
|>  __switch_gethostbyaddr              daemon.o
|>  __switch_gethostbyname              daemon.o
|> 
|> 
|> Has anyone seen these?  I can't find these symbols in any of the 
|> libraries.  I would think they'd be in libnsl.a, but they're not
|> there.  Can anyone assist?

This is fixed in 8.6.5.  Sorry for the delays on it -- I'm still
trying to track down a couple of possibly very serious problems;
however, like all good (i.e., bad) problems, I can't reproduce them.

eric

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Wisner)
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1993 19:45:23 GMT

This will be fixed in Sendmail 8.6.5, which should be available by
year end.  If you want a temporary fix in the meantime, edit conf.h
and find the bit where gethostbyname and gethostbyaddr are redefined
for SOLARIS and change the definitions to

#define gethostbyname res_gethostbyname
#define gethostbyaddr res_gethostbyaddr
-- 
Bill Wisner <[email-masked]> Gryphon Gang San Francisco CA 94116