Subject: Solaris 2.2 Automounter kills performance, FIXED

From: [email-masked] (Ken West)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1993 22:16:17 GMT

I'm happy to report that the problem with the Solaris 2.2 Automounter
killing performance is fixed.  I'm posting this because I got several
responses from people with similar problems.

Richard Elling of Auburn University  provided the fix when he
suggested that the problem was caused by the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment
variable.  This path gets searched for each dynamically linked command.
This wasn't a problem with SunOS 4.xx because it caches the library
locations.  Solaris 2.x has no such cache.  Furthermore, several of the
directories are now automounted where they weren't before.  Overall, it
killed performance on our system.

So.. Get rid of LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  By the way, check out the new LD_RUN_PATH
which you'll probably need to set to get programs to compile correctly and
find their libraries once LD_LIBRARY_PATH is gone.

Again, thanks to Richard Elling for solving the nasty problem.

----------

				Ken West
				Protocol Systems, Incorporated
				8500 SW Creekside Place
				Beaverton, Oregon 97005-7107
				(503) 526-8500
				(503) 526-4200 FAX
				[email-masked]
				...uunet!protocol!kenw

It's not safe out here! It's wonderous-- with things to satiate desires both
subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." --Q, "Q Who"