Subject: Re: Growing /var/adm/wtmpx file

From: [email-masked] (Larry Williamson)
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1993 20:58:34 GMT

Almost certainly, sometime since you installed the OS, you have given
your machine a new inet number. This number now no longer agrees with
the corresponding numbers in /etc/saf/tcp/_pmtab.

You should find lines similiar to these in the _pmtab file...

lp::root:reserved:reserved:reserved:::p::/var/spool/lp/fifos/listenS5# 
lpd::root:reserved:reserved:reserved:\x00020203c0be4b270000000000000000::p::/var/spool/lp/fifos/listenBSD# 
0::root:reserved:reserved:reserved:\x00020ACEc0be4b270000000000000000::c::/usr/lib/saf/nlps_server# 

The two long lines of hex numbers include your inet number encoded in
hex. In my case the 'c0be4b27' is my inet number of 192.190.75.39
        192 == c0
        190 == be
        75  == 4b
        39  == 27

do a similiar conversion on your inet numbers, then *carefully*
replace the corresponding digits in these two lines. Make certain that
you don't delete too much, or add in too much, ("wc -c" should report
the same before and after).

Note: the conversion is simple if you use the command "dc" then set
dc's output to hex....

dc
16 o
192 p
190 p
75 p
39 p
^D

is what I did.

Once you have fixed this file, you will have to reboot. I don't
remember if you have to delete the ?tmpx files or not.

-Larry