Subject: booting from 2.2 server

From: [email-masked] (Phil Meyer)
Date: 7 Sep 1993 18:50:43 GMT

We have bitten the bullet and upgraded our primary boot server to Solaris
2.2.  It is a SS10 model 41, 128MB RAM, 13GB disk, SUN FDDI, Disk Suite.

We installed all of the mandatory patches, including 100999-21.
Output from showrev -p is appended.

Here is what we have so far...

1. The 'at' command from all 4.1.2 and 4.1.3 diskless clients fail, due to
a larger symptom of suid programs failing with (NFS error 13) permission
denied.  Programs with permissions like: -r-Sr-Sr-- or ---x--S--- will
                                          at jobs       nqs
fail if they reside on disks mounted from the Solaris 2.2 server

2. Performance of the SS10 has been degraded.  We have poked and pried
and done some tuning, but we have not found documentation describing which
variables can be tuned, other than those few mentioned in the answerbook.
Tuning maxusers and shmem stuff just isn't enough.  I have included the
lines we have added to /etc/system.  Some pointers on other variables
and possible values are welcome!  Using nm to find them, is quite different
from knowing what to set and what to set them to!

3. Disk Suite 1.0 and 2.0 cannot share state databases!  We had hoped that
we could simply drop our old 4.1.3 disk drive back in there and go (if we
had to), but the meta partitions are at risk.  I'm afraid of what would
happen if I do another metadb on 4.1.3.  Already, one partition containing
three drives, shows only one drive from df and du, but NFS clients see
the whole thing!  I believe it may have been caused by trying to metainit -a
using the old state databases.  After that failed, I remade the state databases
and tried metainit -a again.  It hung.  I rebooted and tried again.  It now
works, but I worry.

4. When the server gets loaded, diskless clients often get 'cannot get port
for mount service' messages when they try to mount root.  This causes the
boot sequence to abort.

Thanks for any pointers!

################
 showrev -p
Patch: 100985-04
Patch: 100992-02
Patch: 100999-21
Patch: 101014-04
Patch: 101018-01
Patch: 101027-04
Patch: 101046-03
Patch: 101090-01
Patch: 101109-02
Patch: 101055-01
################
/etc/system
set maxusers=64
set p_nbuf=4096
set ncsize=4096
set bufhwm=4096
set nhbuf=1024
set bf:bf_nbufs=4096
set kobj_map_space_len=0x100000

--
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
| Phil Meyer - The consummate UNIX analyst/SA/NA  |+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+
|                                                 (only cuz I eat too much) |
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+