Subject: Performance fix from Sun

From: [email-masked] (Robert Morrison Dana)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1993 16:38:09 GMT

I posted a few days ago complaining that system performance was
bad on my Classic- it was a problem with process scheduling.  If
a computationally intensive process was running, the interactive
response of the machine was terrible.  There was a noticeable lag
for commands as simple as "ls".  Very soon after posting this and
receiving some replies saying "get more memory" (an incorrect solution),

I received a response through email from AN ENGINEER AT SUNSOFT.  Here's
the scoop- the dispatch table table (which is used by the process
scheduler to determine running priorities and switching times) is
not so good in Solaris 2.2.  He mailed me a better "unsupported"
dipatch table which I am including at the end of this post.  This
was exactly what I needed- my performance complaints are gone.
He said that this new table will be included in Solaris 2.3 along
with some other "scheduling goodies", and that there would be more
extensive repairs of the process scheduling in 2.4.

I hope tech support like this becomes the norm- maybe Sun will
start actually posting stuff like this sometime... 

-Robert

--
Robert Dana <[email-masked]>
ONCS UNIX Student Systems Programmer
Rice University, Houston, TX

Instructions:
Save this to a file, and load it with the command

harry-clay# dispadmin -c TS -s filename

This will alter the scheduler until the next reboot.  To find out about
making this change permanent, read the man page for ts_dptbl

harry-clay# man -s 4 ts_dptbl

Cut here 
-------
#
RES=500

# ts_quantum  ts_tqexp  ts_slpret  ts_maxwait ts_lwait  PRIORITY LEVEL
       100         0         1         0        10         #         0
       100         0         2         0        11         #         1
       100         1         3         0        12         #         2
       100         1         4         0        13         #         3
       100         2         5         0        14         #         4
       100         2         6         0        15         #         5
       100         3         7         0        16         #         6
       100         3         8         0        17         #         7
       100         4         9         0        18         #         8
       100         4         9         0        19         #         9
        80         5        11         0        20         #        10
        80         5        12         0        21         #        11
        80         6        13         0        22         #        12
        80         6        14         0        23         #        13
        80         7        15         0        24         #        14
        80         7        16         0        25         #        15
        80         8        17         0        26         #        16
        80         8        18         0        27         #        17
        80         9        19         0        28         #        18
        80         9        19         0        29         #        19
        60        10        21         0        30         #        20
        60        11        22         0        31         #        21
        60        12        23         0        32         #        22
        60        13        24         0        33         #        23
        60        14        25         0        34         #        24
        60        15        26         0        35         #        25
        60        16        27         0        36         #        26
        60        17        28         0        37         #        27
        60        18        29         0        38         #        28
        60        19        29         0        39         #        29
        40        20        31         0        40         #        30
        40        21        32         0        41         #        31
        40        22        33         0        42         #        32
        40        23        34         0        43         #        33
        40        24        35         0        44         #        34
        40        25        36         0        45         #        35
        40        26        37         0        46         #        36
        40        27        38         0        47         #        37
        40        28        39         0        48         #        38
        40        29        39         0        49         #        39
        20        30        41         0        50         #        40
        20        31        42         0        50         #        41
        20        32        43         0        51         #        42
        20        33        44         0        51         #        43
        20        34        45         0        52         #        44
        20        35        46         0        52         #        45
        20        36        47         0        53         #        46
        20        37        48         0        53         #        47
        20        38        49         0        54         #        48
        20        39        49         0        54         #        49
        10        40        51         0        55         #        50
        10        41        52         0        55         #        51
        10        42        53         0        56         #        52
        10        43        54         0        56         #        53
        10        44        55         0        57         #        54
        10        45        56         0        57         #        55
        10        46        57         0        58         #        56
        10        47        58         0        58         #        57
        10        48        59         0        59         #        58
        10        49        59         0        59         #        59