Subject: Re: xdm does not log to /etc/utmp

From: [email-masked] (Richard Elling)
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1993 18:41:40 GMT

In article [email-masked], [email-masked] (Hermann Schinagl) writes:
>Hi
>
>Is there any way under Solaris 2.2 I can force xdm ( patch 101135-02 ) 
>to log to /var/adm/utmp or /var/adm/wtmp, so that I can get info of users,
>which logged in via xdm ? I don't know if thats a bug or a feature, but 
>it seems to me more a bug.
>
>I have searched for some resources, which might xdm to force to do that, 
>but haven't found any. 

XDM itself won't do that.

>I have heard of sessreg, and already compiled it, it seems to me better
>to do that via xdm

sessreg is what I use for such purposes.  The problem is that the MIT
sessreg doesn't understand SVR4 utmpx/wtmpx entries.  I have modified
sessreg to do so and placed the diffs on ftp.eng.auburn.edu in
/put/xdm/xdm.config.solaris2.1.tar.Z if you are interested.  Some of
the stuff there is rather dated, but I probably won't do much about it
since coesession is looming on the horizon...

---
 Richard Elling, Manager of Network Support, Engineering Administration
 Auburn University     [email-masked]     kb4hb.ampr.org
 Where is Auburn?  Go to Margaritaville, take a right, and go until you
 have to ask yourself where in the hell you are.

---

From: [email-masked] (Hermann Schinagl)
Date: 24 Oct 1993 10:01:42 GMT

Richard Elling ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article [email-masked], [email-masked] (Hermann Schinagl) writes:
: >
: >Is there any way under Solaris 2.2 I can force xdm ( patch 101135-02 ) 
: >to log to /var/adm/utmp or /var/adm/wtmp, so that I can get info of users,

: sessreg is what I use for such purposes.  The problem is that the MIT
: sessreg doesn't understand SVR4 utmpx/wtmpx entries.  I have modified
: sessreg to do so and placed the diffs on ftp.eng.auburn.edu in
: /put/xdm/xdm.config.solaris2.1.tar.Z if you are interested.  Some of
: the stuff there is rather dated, but I probably won't do much about it
: since coesession is looming on the horizon...

Thanks a lot, it works fine now for me. I have tar'd the patched source and a very short description how to use it together, and put it at our ftp server:

ftp.tu-graz.ac.at:/pub/util/sessreg-sol22.tar.gz

--
	Ciao Hermann

------
Microsoft failing at something is not a sterling proof of impossibility ...