Subject: Re: UPGRADE 2.2 to 2.3

From: [email-masked] (Casper H.S. Dik)
Date: 24 Dec 1993 13:54:15 GMT

[email-masked] (Mike Whitley) writes:

>Greetings all...

>Forgive me if someone has already asked this...
>Has anybody successfully UPGRADED from 2.2 to 2.3 (ie. I don't
>mean BULK installing 2.3 over 2.2)?  When I choose "upgrade" 
>in suninstall, my root partition gets mounted ok, but my usr
>partition mount never makes it.  I get "a file system in your
>vfstab cannot be mounted..."  I would assume (dangerous) that my
>original vfstab in my machine's /etc directory would get looked at
>in order to find the usr part. for upgrade purposes (partition 6 on sd0).
>After suninstall tells me to exit, I can see my root partition mounted on
>the cdrom's /a but no usr partition.  The physical device partition being 
>used by suninstall is correct (it shows in the error message) but there is
>no explanation why it can't be mounted. The system works fine under 2.2...no
>partition probs etc.  Has anyone called suninstall with "manual" mounts? 
>I called Sun on this one, and they are throwing it in the "pile" of bug reports
>on the 2.3 install procs.

When upgrading, make sure that all non-ufs filesystems are no longer
in your vfstab file (best make sure that only filesystems
touched by the installation (/, /usr, /var, /usr/openwin, /opt)
are present in /etc/vfstab.

Perhaps you have cdrom, nfs mounted filesystems, etc, etc in /etc/vfstab.
You may even need to remove /proc and /dev/fd.

Casper