Subject: Solaris 2.1 and Motif 1.2.2 build issues

From: [email-masked] (Richard Steinberger)
Date: 23 Mar 1993 00:06:29 GMT

After being out of town for a week, I have returned to the task
of trying to build Motif 1.2.2 on a SUN Solaris 2.1 system.  I have
tried using the supplied sun.cf, sunLib.rules, and sunLib.tmpl files
as well as the mit X11R5.p22 versions of these files (from the 
R5.SunOS5.patch.tar.Z distribution).  The mit build attempt is more 
successful, as SYSV and SVR4 are defined.

	The steps I have followed are:

1) make Makefile "BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS=-I/usr/include/X11" \
   IMAKE_DEFINES=-DUseInstalled

2) cd config

3 ./imake -DUseInstalled -I.
  su
  make install [actually, copy imake to /usr/bin/X11]
  exit
  cd ..
  make Makefiles

[All of this is based on instructions in the README-1.2.1 file.]

4 make includes

  This gets as far as:

cc -c -O  -I. -I../.././X11 -I../.././X11 -I../.././lib  -I../../.  -DSVR4 -DSYSV  -DFUNCPROTO=15   wmlutils.c
rm -f libwml.a
ar cq libwml.a wmlparse.o wml.o         wmloutkey.o     wmlouth.o       wmloutmm.o  wmloutp1.o  wmlresolve.o    wmlsynbld.o     wmlutils.o
cc -O  -I. -I../.././X11 -I../.././X11 -I../.././lib  -I../../.  -DSVR4 -DSYSV  -DFUNCPROTO=15  libwml.a -o wml
Undefined                       first referenced
 symbol                             in file
_mcount                             libwml.a(wmlparse.o)

I would be interested in hearing from people who have successfully built
motif 1.2.2 on Solaris 2.1 machines with SUN C (what I tried) or gcc.
I need to know what files you modified from the 1.2.2 distribution [the
specific changes you made], and what steps you used in the build process.

Thanks in advance for any hints/suggestions or complete solutions.

ric steinberger
[email-masked]