Subject: RE: How/where to obtain patches for Solaris 2.2

From: [email-masked] (Dave Twinam)
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1993 13:36:12 GMT

Jeremy,

	I received the following from a Sun engineer.  It works quite well !!

	Hope this helps out.

		Dave

                        SUNSOLVE ONLINE (8.6.93)

SunSolve Online(TM) is an extensive database of the latest support solutions,
including common questions and answers, bug and patch descriptions, and
technical notes. Updated nightly, SunSolve Online contains the most current 
information on problems and solutions.  It may be accessed using SprintNet(TM) 
or over the Internet.

FEATURES                        BENEFITS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FTP Patches over the Internet   * Easy way of retrieving patches of any size

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                          
Updated nightly                 * Most current information
  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Internet access                 * Easy access for customers connected
                                  to the Internet

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SprintNet access                * Modem access for customers without
                                  a connection to the Internet

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Access to extensive collections of 
articles developed by Sun Experts

        EarlyNotifier           * Proactive notification of newly discovered
                                  key problems or bugs

        Bug Reports Summaries   * Summaries of all bugs logged

        Patch Descriptions      * Information on patches that 
                                 can be requested automatically

        Symptoms/Resolutions    * Answers to questions asked by
                                  customers world-wide

        Information Documents   * More in-depth articles and other 
                                  information

        Solaris 2.X Q&A         * Specific information to help
                                  migrate to SVR4/Solaris 2.x

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you are a named contact on a maintenance contract, and you have access
to a modem or to the Internet, you can begin using SunSolve Online 
immediately by following the instructions in the SunSolve Online Access 
Reference Card which is attached below.

                        SUNSOLVE FAX (8.6.93)

SunSolve Fax, SunService's fax-on-demand system, provides a subset of 
the SunSolve data base for those who don't have access to the Internet,
or a modem, but still want the latest information.  SunSolve FAX features 
the most current and most frequently requested articles and information.
All you need is a touch tone telephone and a Fax machine.

To access SunSolve Fax, dial 800-USA-4SUN (800-872-4786) and select the
SunSolve Fax option from the menu.  You will then be prompted to select
one of the following menu options to have that information sent to a
specified fax machine telephone number:

PROMPT                          DESCRIPTION

Instructions                    SunSolve Fax instructions

EarlyNotifier                   Proactive notification of key problems 
                                or bugs just discovered
 
Quick reference materials       Useful information such as patch ordering 
                                information and key word charts

Software Reference Index        Arranged by product category, provides 
                                a list of Software reference article titles 
                                and numbers
 
Hardware Reference Index        Arranged by product category, provides
                                a list of Hardware reference article titles
                                and numbers
 
Request article number(s)       Allows users to retrieve specific articles 
                                by article number

To find the article you need, call SunSolve Fax, select the desired
index and category, and enter your fax number when prompted.  A list of
articles will be sent to your fax machine within a few minutes.

To select the desired article(s), call SunSolve Fax again and select the
"Request Article Number" option.  When prompted, request the article(s)
you want, and enter your fax number.  Your requested article(s) will be
sent to your fax machine in a few minutes.

FEATURES                                BENEFIT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Touch-tone Phone access         * Easy and convenient way to retrieve most
                                  accessed SunSolve articles 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Delivered directly to           * Easy and most readily available  
a fax machine                     method of delivery.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Access to a collections of latest 
and most frequently requested articles 

developed by Sun Experts

        EarlyNotifier           * Proactive notification of newly discovered
                                  key problems or bugs

        Quick reference         * Useful information such as patch ordering
        materials                 information and key word charts

        Software references     * Arranged by product category, provides
        index                     a list of Software reference article 
                                  titles and numbers
 
        Hardware references     * Arranged by product category, provides
        index                     a list of Hardware reference article 
                                  titles and numbers

SunSolve FAX will be available by October 1, 1993.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                         A T T A C H M E N T
                           SunSolve OnLine

Welcome to SunService's SunSolve Online(tm) customer support
application.  SunSolve Online, an integral part of SunSpectrum(tm)
support, is a terminal based system that contains up-to-the-minute
information for Sun workstations. SunSolve Online provides a simple
interface for performing complex searches through a wide variety of
information collections.

SunService(tm) is pleased to announce that SunSolve Online is now
available via SprintNet(tm) dial-up service and the Internet. We have
also added the ability to retrieve patches using 'ftp' access. The new
system, the server name is SUNSOLVE1, contains all information found on
the current SunSolve Online system plus online patch access, browse
mode, and several other new features.

With the introduction of the new SunSolve Online, access to the old
system will be phased out starting Sep. 1 1993.  You will find the 
new features very easy to use and access via SprintNet or Internet 
will put SunSolve Online at your finger tips.

Access to these and many more new features are now available. Follow
the simple instructions outlined below. Once you have logged into our
new and expanded system we suggest you E-mail, 'ftp', or request a
hardcopy of the latest SunSolve Online Users Guide. This PostScript(tm)
document will help introduce you to the new SunSolve Online
application.

==============================================================================
v1.4                    SunSolve Online Access Reference Card
==============================================================================

WARNING - The access and use of SunSolve Online is restricted to
SunService Inc. contract customers only. Unauthorized access
is prohibited.

Note: Your input is underlined with [***]. SprintNet access to SunSolve
Online is a 2 step process: 1. logging into SprintNet, 2. log into
Sun's Customer Network and SunSolve Online.

                        Access via SprintNet Services
                        -----------------------------

1. For your local SprintNet access phone number call SprintNet customer
service toll-free at 1-(800)-877-5045, (option #5) or (404)-859-7700.

A. Use your modem to dial the closest SprintNet local access telephone
number.  Select and dial the appropriate number for the desired baud
rate (300, 1200, 2400, 9600).

SPEED           MODEM TYPE
-----           ----------
300 bps         Bell 103 compatible
1200 bps        Bell 212A compatible
2400 bps        V.22 bis compatible
9600 bps (V.29) Microcom V.29 compatible
9600 bps (V.32) CCITT V.32 compatible 

NOTE: For dial-out capabilities of your system, use applications such
as 'tip' or other methods appropriate in your environment. Contact your
system administrator for your modem functionality and dial-out access
capabilities. 'tip' should always be run from a Shell Tool.

B. Upon successful connection you will see this prompt:

CONNECT

If your modem is using 8 databits, no parity, 1 stop bit, type @,
capital `D', (release the shift) then a return (@D<return>).
                                                **********

                        OR

If you are using 7 data bits, even or odd parity, one stop bit, type @,
followed by carriage return. (@<return>)
                              *********

C. You then get this response:

TELENET
415 3I                  (this number response may vary)

Enter the terminal type information:

TERMINAL= d1    (CRT's and PC's)
         ***

D. Connecting to Sun:

>From the SprintNet prompt (@) type the following information. 

@ c 408133,sunsolve
  *****************

PASSWORD = sunmicro
           ********

408 133 connected

2. Log into the Sun Customer Network.

You will now log into the Sun Customer Network. This server will allow you
access to the features and functionality of SunSolve Online.

login: sunsolve
       ********

Password: sunmicro
          ********

3. Go to "SunSolve Customer Login Screen" section of this document. 

                        Internet Access to SunSolve Online
                        ----------------------------------

A.  From your workstation type:

prompt% telnet sunsolve1.sun.com
        ************************

B. Go to step 2 above.

Note - SUNSOLVE1 Internet IP address 192.9.9.24  

                        FTP Access to Binary Patches
                        ----------------------------

Note -For ftp access you must FIRST set up a SunSolve Online user
account.  Login via SprintNet or the Internet and complete all sections
of the SunSolve Customer Login Screen. Then:

A.  From your workstation type:

prompt% ftp sunsolve1.sun.com
        *********************

B. Login:  sunsolve
           ********

   Password: sunmicro
             ********

C. 332-User sunsolve logged in; account ID requested.
   332-Enter your ID and password separated by a slash (/). This won't echo.

   Account:  your sunsolve login name/your sunsolve password
             ***********************************************

Note - SUNSOLVE1 Internet IP address 192.9.9.24  

                        SunSolve Customer Login Screen
                        -------------------------------

Last login: Wed July 7 22:17:05 from 31104150011830
SunOS Release 4.1.1 (X25) #1: Wed Feb 24 10:20:55 PST 1993
Last login: Wed July 7 10:27:21 from mailhost
Welcome to SunSolve ONLINE version 1.3
PRESS [RETURN] TO START

Terminal type [network]:sun (shell tool) or  sun-cmd (command tool)
                        ***                  *******

Note: The default terminal type appears in brackets [] prior to the
colon. If this is not your terminal type, ask your system administrator
for the UNIX `terminfo' identifier for your terminal and enter it
before pressing [Return].

A. Customer Log on Screen

If this is your first time accessing the system enter `newuser' to be
given temporary access until your account is validated. For all future
access please use your user defined login/password generated below. To
gain access to SunSolve Online type the following information:

LOGIN   SunSolve ONLINE v1.3

 login: newuser
        *******

 Password:  <return> (no password required)
             ******

B. Setting up your own user account and password file.

The example below shows a New User Account registration form. Please
complete all sections. Then select your personal SunSolve Online login
account information.

New User Account                SunSolve ONLINE v1.3

ContractID (if known):
    Company: 
    Contact:
    Address:
       City:            State:          ZIP Code:
      Phone:
   E-mail address:
      Login:[enter your future SunSolve Online account name]
   Password:[enter your future SunSolve Online password]

Note: Your new login/password will take effect on your next login to
      SunSolve Online. Please exit and login using your newly created account.
      This account information is also required for ftp access.

Warning - Unauthorized access is prohibited.
^^^^^^^

                        How to obtain user documentation
                        ---------------------------------

There are four ways to obtain a copy of the latest SunSolve Online
User's Guide. Depending on your method of connectivity and access to the
Internet, select the appropriate method.

a. If you have logged in via ftp, 'get' a copy of the UserGuide.ps file
located in the patch directory. Also in this directory, is a README
file that provides information on how to obtain patch binary files.

b. If you have logged in via Internet, from the SunSolve Online main
menu select item #7, "Send User Guide (via email)". From the preceding
screen verify that your Internet E-Mail address is correct. You will be
E-mailed a PostScript(tm) copy of the user's guide.

c. If you have logged in via SprintNet and have an E-mail address that
is accessible from the Internet, follow step "b" above.

d. If you have logged in via SprintNet and do not have an Internet
E-mail address, select menu item #8, "Send Hardcopy User Guide".
Complete the request form. A copy will be mailed to you through the
U.S. Post Office. Please allow 7 to 10 working days for delivery.

                   /\
                  \\ \
                 \ \\ /
                / \/ / /
               / /   \//\                     SunService
               \//\   / /           A Sun Microsystems, Inc Business
                / / /\ /        2550 Garcia Avenue, Mountain View 94043
                 / \\ \             415 960-1300 fax 415 969-9131
                  \ \\
                   \/

-- 
*****************************************************************************
Dave Twinam --- Evolving Systems, Inc. 
8000 East Maplewood Ave., Englewood, CO 80111
Internet: [email-masked]  Telephone: (303) 689-1358 FAX: (303) 689-1399