Subject: Re: cachefs entries in vfstab / Solaris 2.3

From: [email-masked] (Tom Limoncelli)
Date: 8 Jan 1994 20:43:47 -0500

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Wolfgang Nejdl) writes:

>Could anybody send me working entries for vfstab (both for /usr and
>/usr/kvm on a dataless client and for a CDROM)? I have not managed to
>get them to work after some tries.

cachefs (the most promising feature of Solaris 2.3) doesn't work as
shipped.

To make it work, get patch 101329-04.  FTP to sunsite.unc.edu
(152.2.22.81) and grab /pub/sun-info/sun-fixes/101329-04.tar.Z

Tom

-- 
Tom Limoncelli -- [email-masked] (work) -- [email-masked] (play)
"Psst!  Hey, Anthony!  Y'know what I        | Disclaimer:  I do not
like about existing?"  "Uh... uh... what?"  | speak for Mentor Graphics.
"Possessing a physical extension."  -TSA    |

---

From: [email-masked] (Casper H.S. Dik)
Date: 9 Jan 1994 11:45:47 GMT

>(152.2.22.81) and grab /pub/sun-info/sun-fixes/101329-04.tar.Z

That patch does not contain fixes to cachefs.  There are fixes
to autofs, to make it work with cachefs and there are some library
and NIS+ fixes.  No parts of cachefs are replaced.
(Though new features not working is pretty common in SunOS)

This is what works for us:

server:/usr/openwin	-	/usr/openwin	cachefs	-	yes	backfstype=nfs,ro,cachedir=/cache,noquota,intr

You must initialise the cache with cfsadmin before using it for the first
time.

Casper