Subject: Re: gdb on sparc-solaris2.2

From: [email-masked] (Jean-Luc Richier)
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1993 19:14:05 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Stuart McDow) writes:
>I just built and installed gdb-4.10.pl1 on my SS10 running Sol 2.2
>
>The build went without a hitch (praise be to configure). I used
>gcc-2.4.5 for the build. However, it isn't running correctly. Here's a
>simple example. The program was built using gcc-2.4.5. I know the
>program runs correctly (it's small), and I've built and debugged the
>same under SunOS4.1.{2,3} with no problems. Any clues would be
>appreciated. Thanks.

We had the same problem here (using gdb 4.9).
The cause was the installation of the patch
sunos       5.2            any        101052-02
		SunOS 5.2: point patch to link-editor & related files 

This patch replaces the link editor, and seems to clobber the debug
informations.
If you uninstall this patch and go back to the link editor of the Solaris 2.2,
everything is fine.

PS: There is a new version of the patch, 101052-03, but we have not tested it.

README of the patch:

Patch-ID# 101052-02
Keywords: performance enhancements ld link large relocatable archive
Synopsis: SunOS 5.2: point patch for slow link-editing problem
Date: Jul/23/93

Solaris Release: 2.2

SunOS release: 5.2

Unbundled Product: 

Unbundled Release: 

Topic: Solaris 2.2: point patch to usr/ccs/bin/ld

BugId's fixed with this patch: 1108453

Changes incorporated in this version: fixes packaging issue in -01 

Relevant Architectures: sparc

Other patches which conflict with this patch: 

This patch obsoleted by: 

Files included with this patch: 

        usr/ccs/bin/ld
        usr/lib/libld.so.1
        usr/lib/liblddbg.so.2
        usr/lib/libelf.so.1
        usr/lib/libelf.so
        usr/lib/libelf.a

Problem Description: 

This is a POINT PATCH which may NOT be necessary for all customers,
and as such is not scheduled to be integrated fix in a future
SunOS release.
 
This patch fixes the following problem:
 
   Link-editing is too slow when using vast quantities of relocatable
   objects and/or archive input files.
 
-- 
Jean-Luc RICHIER ([email-masked]  [email-masked])
LGI, IMAG-CAMPUS, BP 53, F-38041 GRENOBLE Cedex 9
Tel : (33) 76 51 48 32 Fax : (33) 76 44 66 75