Subject: Re: Should local software go in /opt or /opt/local?

From: [email-masked] (Damiano Bolla)
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 93 11:31:02 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Peter Steele) writes:
>>>The point of /opt is for mounting SVR4 software packages, the rationale
>
>>i would make /opt be an automount point. that way i can place packages
>>anywhere and just update the map. is anyone doing this? does it seem
>>correct to you?
>
>This sounds like a good approach to me. Could you elaborate?

I had to set up a mix of Solaris 2.2 and SunOS 4.1.2 systems and therefore 
I had to solve the problem of giving access to a mixed env. different
local compiled programs. What I have done is:

create an automount map

auto_nfsd

that holds data for the directory 

/nfsd

The map is as follows

ftp -ro,nosuid,soft arianna_hyde:/arianna3/ftp
local4.1 -ro,nosuid,soft arianna:/usr/local
local2.2 -ro,nosuid,soft paola:/ext2/local
sunvision -ro,nosuid,soft arianna:/arianna3/sunvision-1.2
dsp -nosuid,soft arianna:/dspdisk
opt -ro,nosuid,soft paola:/opt
usr2.2 -ro,nosuid,soft paola:/usr

And of course depending on what machine you are you make the right simlink
to the right point. Ex: if I am a SunOS 4.1.2 and I want the local I will do

ln -s /nfsd/local4.1 /usr/local

So when I try to get to /usr/local I automount the right place.

This allows you to move around things and in the same time support different
OS. Also.. since is an indirect map automount will notice changes in the table
as soon as you make them.. and since only needed directory are mounted you don't
have much troubles if you do find / -name something -print

Seems to work ok so far... :-)

Damiano