Subject: Re: Backup software for Solaris 2.3?

From: [email-masked] (Justin Mason)
Date: 15 Dec 1993 17:58:59 -0000

[email-masked] (Bill Wisner) writes:

>I'm unsatisfied with Sun's Online: Backup (aka Backup Co-Pilot) software,
>and am trying to find information on other backup packages that exist for
>Solaris 2.  There don't seem to be many.  Anybody know of any such packages
>or possibly have experience with them?

Well, if you'll accept free software, you're sorted.
Over here, we use the OSU-CIS backup system, from Ohio State U.'s CIS dept.
It allows you to label 20 tapes, put 'em in a cupboard, and just stick
tapes in the drive when the mail from cron says so, which is what I want. ;)
Everything else is automatic and pretty user-friendly, all things considered.

If you can compile perl, and there's a dump, ufsdump, efsdump or whatever,
you can run it on your machine.

Get it from ftp.cis.ohio-state.edu:/pub/backup/backup-2.6pre.tar.Z.

--
Justin Mason (Iona Technologies' unix caretaker, fixer-upper and disk-filler)
[email: <[email-masked]>]   -><-   [w3 http://www.iona.ie/hyplan/jmason.html]

	  "I was an infinitely hot and dense dot." -- Mark Leyner