My primary research interests are accessible user interfaces and mobile human-computer interaction. My work explores ways to make mobile devices easier to use, especially for people with disabilities and people in distracting environments.
- Three papers accepted to the ASSETS 2014 conference!
- Starting in August 2014, I'll be joining the Department of Computer Science at the University of Colorado Boulder.
- 5/14: Presented our work on accessible voting tools at the ITIF's Innovation in Elections event. See the demo here.
- I'm thrilled to be working with Stacy Branham, who will be a postdoc at UMBC in 2014-15.
- Our paper on everyday making in the home will appear at the DIS 2014 conference.
- Our paper on designing mobile and wearable technologies for power wheelchair users will receive an Honorable Mention award at the CHI 2014 conference!
- I've been named a UMBC Academic Innovation Fellow for 2014–2015!
- Recent press coverage on our work with accessibility and Google Glass, and developing 3D-printed tactile graphics from Hubble data.
- Papers accepted for publication at CSCW 2014 and SIGCSE 2014.
- Presented 3 papers at ASSETS 2013.
- Presented at CHI 2013: Access Lens: A Gesture-Based Screen Reader for Real-World Documents (video).
- Amy Hurst and I received a 2013 Microsoft Software Engineering Innovation Foundation Award!
I'm currently supervising the following students:
- Lula Albar, Ph.D student in Human-Centered Computing, UMBC
- Patrick Carrington, Ph.D student in Human-Centered Computing, UMBC (with Amy Hurst)
- Michele Williams, Ph.D student in Human-Centered Computing, UMBC (co-advised with Amy Hurst)
- Ankita, M.S. student in Computer Science, UMBC
Recently taught courses:
- Spring 2014: Human-Centered Design (graduate)
- Fall 2013: User Interface Design (undergraduate)
- Spring 2013: Mobile Human-Computer Interaction (graduate)
- Fall 2012: Human-Computer Interaction (graduate)
- Spring 2012: Information Architecture for the Web (undergraduate)
- Fall 2011: Human-Computer Interaction (graduate)