Tactile, Auditory and Graphical Authentication for Desktop and Mobile Interfaces
Research suggests that human limitations are rarely considered in the design of knowledge-based authentication systems. In an attempt to foster entry to a system, individuals tend to choose passwords which are easy to recall. However, inappropriate selection can compromise data security. In order to restore the balance between security and memorability, we have proposed tactile based solutions. Our studies have shown that 'tactile passwords' (composed of four stimuli) can be recognized with strong levels of accuracy over a long term period. Studies examining authentication for individuals who are blind have been conducted. Research has also focused on ways in which abstract sounds can be used for authentication.
More recent work is focusing on ways that we can design tactile and gestural authentication solutions for mobile usage (H4Plock), multi-factor authentication, and issues associated with selecting patterns for unlock screens. The research is funded through the Office of Naval Research, in collaboration with Dr. Adam J. Aviv at USNA.
VTPlayer mouse with matrix presenting raised pins underneath the user's fingers (www.virtouch.com)
"Tactile password" composed of series of raised pins (static or animated)
Saulynas, S., Lechner, C. & Kuber, R. 2017: Towards the Use of Brain-Computer Interface Technologies as a Potential Alternative to PIN Authentication. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10447318.2017.1357905.
- Davin, J.T., Aviv, A.J., Wolf, F. & Kuber, R. 2017: Baseline Measurements of Shoulder Surfing Analysis and Comparability for Smartphone Unlock Authentication. In Extended Abstracts of CHI'17, Denver, CO, 2496-2503.
- Wolf, F. Kuber, R. & Aviv, A.J. 2016: Preliminary Findings from an Exploratory Qualitative Study of Security-Conscious Users of Mobile Authentication. In proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on Security Information Workers, SOUPS'16, Denver, CO.
- Wolf, F. Kuber, R. & Aviv, A.J. 2016: Towards Non-Observable Authentication for Mobile Devices. In Poster Session of SOUPS'16, Denver, CO.
- Ali, A., Kuber, R. & Aviv, A.J. 2016: Developing and Evaluating a Gestural and Tactile Mobile Interface to Support User Authentication. In proceedings of iConference'16, Philadelphia, PA.
- Aviv, A.J., Budzitowski, D. & Kuber, R. 2015: Is Bigger Better? Comparing User-Generated Passwords on 3x3 vs. 4x4 Grid Sizes for Android's Pattern Unlock. In proceedings of ACSAC'15, Los Angeles, USA, 301-310.
- Ali, A., Kuber, R. & Aviv, A.J. 2015: H4Plock: Supporting Mobile User Authentication through Gestural Input and Tactile Output. In Poster Session of SOUPS'15, Ottawa, Canada.
- Budzitowski, D., Aviv, A.J. & Kuber, R. 2015: Do Bigger Grids Sizes Mean Better Passwords? 3x3 vs. 4x4 Grid Sizes for Android Unlock Patterns. In Poster Session of SOUPS'15, Ottawa, Canada.
Said, K., Kuber, R. & Murphy, E. 2015: AudioAuth: Exploring the Design and Usability of a Sound-Based Authentication System. International Journal of Mobile Human Computer Interaction, 7(4), 16-34.
Said, K., Kuber, R. & Murphy, E. 2014:
Towards the Development of AudioAuth: An Auditory Authentication System. In proceedings of Irish HCI'14, Dublin, Ireland, 48-55, ISBN 978-1-873769-27-0.
Kuber, R. & Sharma, S. 2012: Developing an Extension to an Existing Tactile Authentication Mechanism to Support Non-Visual Interaction. In proceedings of IASTED HCI'12, Baltimore, USA, 190-198.
Kuber, R., Tretter, M. & Murphy, E. 2011: Developing and Evaluating a Non-Visual Memory Game. In proceedings of INTERACT'11 (Lecture Notes in Computer Science 6947), Lisbon, Portugal, 541-553.
Kuber, R. & Yu, W. 2010: Feasibility Study of Tactile-based Authentication. International
Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 68, 158-181.
Kuber, R. & Sharma, S. 2010: Toward Tactile Authentication for Blind Users. In proceedings of ASSETS'10, Orlando, USA, 289-290.
Kuber, R. & Yu, W. 2010: Tactile vs Graphical Authentication. In proceedings of Eurohaptics'10 (Lecture Notes in Computer Science 6191), Amsterdam, Netherlands, 314-319.
Kuber, R. & Yu, W. 2006: Authentication using Tactile Feedback. In proceedings of BCS HCI'06 Volume 2, London, UK, 141-145.
- Flynn Wolf (Ph.D.)
- Karim Said (Ph.D.)
- Abdullah Ali (MS)
- Shiva Sharma (MS)
- Matthew Tretter (MS)